Saturday, June 11, 2011

Petits Fours

   Even though I have never tasted petits fours before, I have always had a slight obsession with them. They're so dainty and feminine and beautiful. I wanted petits fours for my 16th birthday so badly but that never came to light seeming as how the French bakery in our neighborhood was way overpricing their little cakes. Instead, for years, I admired these little confections from afar.
   Last month I saw an advertisement for this little petits four pan from the Martha Stewart Collection. I know, I know. You're probably thinking, "Martha Stewart? Come on, now!" But, all prison jokes and orange jumpsuits aside, the woman can cook and entertain. And, against my better judgement, I broke down and bought this pan that was genuinely overpriced for a piece of metal. I just had to have it. Wouldn't you know it, good ole Martha included the recipe along with the pan. All that was left to do was hope my husband wouldn't be enraged at the price of the pan and get baking!
   I've been waiting for an excuse to make these petits fours and last night, I got the opportunity. I hosted a Girls' Night and decided there was no better occasion to make them. I think as women, we can appreciate the beauty of food,  whereas men would pop three in there mouth at a time and never appreciate the elegance of their design. Below is Martha Stewart's Petits Fours recipe.
   I'm going to warn you now, if you in any way, shape or form, have weak arms, do not attempt to make the Sugar Glaze topping! It entails sifting your weight in powdered sugar. But, we'll get to that later!

Petits Fours by Martha Stewart
6 tbsp. unsalted butter
3 eggs
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 tsp. Pure Vanilla Extract
3/4 cup cake flour, sifted

Sugar Glaze
12 cups confectioner's sugar, sifted (yep, this isn't a misprint. 12 freaking cups!)
1 cup milk
A few drops of food coloring
1 tsp. Pure Vanilla Extract (I added this to the recipe!)

 Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Spray your pan with nonstick spray and set aside. Melt the butter and set aside to cool. Beat your eggs, salt, and sugar in a mixer on medium speed, until thick, about 8 minutes.
While the mixture is beating, sift your cake flour.


Add the vanilla. Fold in flour, rapidly but gently. Fold butter in gently without letting the butter settle to the bottom of the bowl. Quickly spoon the mixture into the pan, until batter is just below the rim. Now, instead of saying to fill it just below the rim, she should have said to fill it 2/3 way full because my little cakes ended up rising and spilling over. I guess that would explain why I only made 25 when the recipe is supposed to yield 30. Haha.

(If you spill over, try to wipe off excess with towel.)


( I had to call in reinforcement!)

(Callum: Taste-tester and whisker-extraordinaire!)

( That's a lot of sugar!)

Bake at 375 degrees until golden brown, about 11-12 minutes. While the petits fours are baking, sift sugar into a large (and I'm talking large!) bowl. Gradually add milk, whisking until mixture is the consistency of heavy cream. Now, you'll need to resist the urge to give up on this glaze. Sifting and then whisking 12 cups of confectioner's sugar is no easy feat. I recommend alternating arms every cup that you add. That way, the pain is evenly distributed amongst both of your arms. When your arms feel like they're going to fall off, Congratulations! You've reached the end!


Remove from oven.

Lay down a piece of wax paper to catch excess glaze and place the wire cooling rack on top of the wax paper. Invert the pan onto a wire rack and flip petits fours so the top (molded) side faces up. Spoon glaze on the petits fours while they're still warm. Let cool and serve. 
(Petits Fours before Glaze)



(Pink Petits Fours)

Plate and enjoy! 


No comments:

Post a Comment