Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Choco-Choco Lovers Cupcakes!

    Callum is one of those children that when he gets something in his head, he can not let it go! The other morning, I went to the Dentist with Callum in tote. He was petrified, even though I was the one in the chair. LOL. On the way out of the office, still trying to catch his breath after the hardest cry I've seen in a while, Callum goes, "go home, make cupcakes!" What kind of mother would I be if I declined his request? He clearly was in need of comfort food after that traumatic experience.
   I have a confession. Previously, I mostly used the boxed cupcake mix. Duncan Hines and Betty Crocker make some awesome boxed mixes. However, this day, I did not have the energy to go to the store. So, Callum and I decided to make cupcakes from scratch. And, to my delight, I found a recipe that I tweaked that is allergy friendly! This recipe is peanut-free, egg-free, and could be dairy-free if you prefer.
    Food for thought: Halfway through the cupcake experience, I started wondering, "What is the difference between a muffin and a cupcake." After a little online perusing, I found that there really is not a definitive answer. This is what I came up with. A cupcake is usually a lighter, sweeter, treat that is normally eaten on occasion. A muffin usually contains fruit or bran and is more dense in texture. Cupcakes are often iced and muffins are not. But, what it you make a carrot cake muffin? Or...a carrot cake cupcake? What's the difference then? See? Confusion! Then, I heard a explanation that made the most sense to me. "A muffin is just an excuse to eat cake for breakfast." Yep, sounds about right. I'm going with that answer.
     And now that I have made you sit through the muffin vs. cupcake battle in my mind, I will reveal my delicious Choco-Choco Lovers Cupcake. So easy, delicious, and safe. Healthy? Nah...but everyone needs a little sweetness now and then!

Choco-Choco Lovers Cupcakes:
1 1/2 cups Flour
1 cup Sugar
1 cup Milk (can also be substituted with water)
1 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1/3 cup Cocoa
1/2 cup Vegetable Oil
1 tsp. Vinegar (weird, I know, but essential)
1 1/2 tsp. Pure Vanilla Extract

(Above: My little helper in his apron!)


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all ingredients together in mixer until the texture is smooth and there are no visible lumps.
(Egg free = batter safe to eat= happy child!)
 (Smooth Consistency)

(Taste-tester)



Scrape down sides of the mixing bowl several times and continues to mix. When consistency is smooth, pour into cupcake liners until 2/3 full. You will be tempted to fill all the way to the top, but pouring the mixture only 2/3 way full, you will keep your cupcakes from overflowing while baking! Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.
(Look how beautiful they turn out!)

(Tried not to spill batter, but alas, I am human!)

Chocolate Frosting: (Taken from Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Frosting Recipe)
1/2 cup Butter or Margarine (or your butter substitute)
2/3 cup Cocoa
3 cups Confectioner's Sugar
1 1/2 tsp. Pure Vanilla Extract
1/3 cup Milk (or milk substitute)

Hershey's does it better. So, the only adjustment I made here was a little extra vanilla. I always add more vanilla. Make sure your butter is room temperature. Mix all ingredients together. Put into piping bag and pipe on frosting. If you don't have a piping set, simply cut a small hole in one of the corners of a Hefty or Glad storage or sandwich bag and pipe on frosting. 
(Look how cute!)


Serve with milk or water and enjoy! 


3 comments:

  1. Yummy! Love the pictures, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the commentary you added, about your thought process, it make it so much more personal and intriguing. Beautiful placement of the icing too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh. Thank you! I love writing with it! :) These were so super easy to make!

    ReplyDelete