Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The Jarlsberg Grilled Cheese!

The Jarlsberg Grilled Cheese

    On a recent venture to our farmer's market, I made a huge score on a fantastic cheese. Maple smoked Jarlsberg is my new favorite cheese! It's savory and semi-sweet and seems to pair well with fruits and breads. 
    Back in my Starbucks days, when we would do coffee tastings, we would often pair cheeses and fruits with coffees. When I tasted this cheese at the market, I was instantly transported back to a coffee tasting where I paired Gouda and apples. It was like a light bulb. "I have to make a grilled cheese with this cheese and apples!"
     Below is my take on a salty and sweet tasty treat! I hope you guys enjoy this recipe. My husband's only complaint about this sandwich was that it was not bigger! Ha ha. 

Ingredients:
2 German Hard Rolls (or your preference of bread)
Six pieces of bacon
1/4 lb Maple smoked Jarlsberg Cheese
1 Fuji Apple
2 tbsp. Mayonnaise (or Miracle-Whip)
1/4 tsp. onion powder
Butter for toasting bread (I use "I can't believe it's not butter!")

On a cutting board, peel and slice your Fuji apple into thin slices. Set aside. Slice your Jarlsberg Cheese into thin slices and set aside. 



      In a medium pan, cook bacon on medium-high heat. I'm a constant burner of bacon. So, my rule of thumb now when cooking bacon is to go down the line, consistently flipping them over until they look about the right crispness. Move cooked bacon to a plate that is covered in paper towels. This will catch the excess grease. Set bacon aside for now.
    In a separate small bowl, mix two tablespoons of mayonnaise with 1/4 teaspoon of onion powder. 
       Butter both sides of the German Hard Rolls and put them facing down in a medium pan on medium-high heat. On the inside of the rolls, smooth your mayonnaise-onion mix. I do this on both pieces of the roll so that the flavor is spread evenly through the sandwich. 
     Add sliced Jarlsberg to both pieces of the roll. On one side of the roll, add apple slices. On the other side of the roll, add your desired amount of bacon. Let the separated rolls cook open face for about 2-3 minutes so cheese begins to melt.


     Put the two sides of the roll together, being careful not to drop the apple or bacon pieces. When both pieces are together, push sandwich down gently with your spatula. Cook on each side for about 2 minutes or until the bread is as toasted as you like it. 
     Remove from heat and cut down the center. Get ready to enjoy the perfect salty-sweet grilled cheese! 


   Callum took one bite of the sandwich. Haha...here he is enjoying a piece of Jarlsberg! 




6 comments:

  1. looks so good sister! Im gonna try it! i saw something similar to this sandwich on a t.v show i watch but he used a diff. cheese..i wonder if i could even find a maple jarlsberg here in bakersfield..we sell a bunch of awesome cheese at F&E(nothing with maple though!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I doubt I can find the maple flavoring but I'm sure I can find the jarlsberg (I hope.) This looks so fantastic. I hope you are making a recipe book of all your own creations! I think Dad would love this (if I didn't tell him what kind of cheese it was...you know fussy he is!) The only bummer...I can't print this off...out of ink. This blog is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are off to a good start with this blog lady! It makes me motivated to get back to doing mine! That picture of you and Callum as the profile is absolutely priceless and that sandwich looks absolute mouthwatering.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love all the pictures of you and the family. Boo-hoo. Are you ever moving back. I swear I will let you do the cooking:) IF you clean up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can see you're as talented as your Mom! I make bacon in the Microwave between two sheets of paper toweling on a plate. It just takes two minutes and other than the plate, there's no cleanup involved. This combo looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. IT was so delicious. I had mine, sans bacon. But the combo was divine! Even my hubby loved it!

    ReplyDelete